Thursday, February 19, 2009

Digging Out

As our city is nearing 100 inches of snowfall so far this year, I feel like the past few months I have been snowed in with my blog!! Time to spring ahead with this for sure!!

I have been really grappling with the sense of urgency over the past few months. My husband is in manufacturing. Things have gone from bad to worse but the underlying question (or maybe it is fear) is will it get even worse? As he was driving out to another city about an hour away, he called me to tell me what he was doing. A customer needed a problem fixed with some parts. My husband said, "I need to do whatever it takes to get this done." Wow....whatever it takes...there is such an urgency these days in the manufacturing world and when people talk economics.

So, I got to thinking...is there that sense of urgency in our schools? What about those kids that need that extra boost, a modified lesson, extra time to practice. Do we have that sense of urgency to "do whatever it takes"? Do we look closely at what we are doing and measuring it to how it impacts kids and learning? Are we starting to think...what kinds of interventions could we do...even if we haven't done them before? How urgent is our call?

It sure gives us something to think about...I know I am thinking about it...A LOT! My next step is to make sure that I am doing whatever it takes!!

No comments: