Friday, November 13, 2009

Unexpected Advice

"Just slow it down, Ma'am."
Five words I heard loud and clear from the officer. I had been pulled over going 10 miles an hour over the speed limit. The thing of it was, I knew that I was speeding. When I got to the stop light, I had the thought that I was going too fast. I guess I was not alone in that opinion because the red and blue lights behind me confirmed that!

There were lots of things racing through my head...should I tell him I was late picking up my kids...should I mention I had a rough day at work...should I tell him my brother-in-law was a police officer and I knew better??? All these things were true, but I couldn't do it. I knew I was speeding and I needed to own up to it! After the usual stuff...licence and registration please...wait...wait. The kind officer said, "Just slow it down, Ma'am!" No ticket...that was such a relief.

His warning really struck me though...I keep hearing it over and over. Just slow it down...so I have been. I have been slowing down to enjoy the moments with my kids at home. I have been slowing down to talk to a great colleague about an exciting idea...I have been really intentional about slowing down to think about what I am doing. Life gets busy...for all of us. The thing is, we need to slow down and be intentional...at home and in the classroom. When we slow down enough, we see things differently. That's a good thing!

Now, I am slowing down and making sure I connect with fellow staff members, kids that can't wait to tell me about their dog and my own family. That way, I am hoping I am not missing a teachable moment.

So, thank you to the officer that gave me the warning...life is so much better now that I have slowed down to savor the moments!

No comments: