Friday, August 8, 2008

Invitations

With July flying by so quickly and August sailing on, I am gearing up for my new challenge. All teachers have that feeling of excitement as the back to school catalogs begin to come out. It's that feeling of a new adventure getting underway. This year, it feels different. I am reminded of my first year teaching when I went about getting the room ready, but had not fully braced myself for the whirlwind that would come next.
As I am beginning to move things into my room, I am trying to be careful to set up a welcoming environment loaded with inviting books. My love for reading is genuine and I want nothing more than students to feel the same. I'm setting up book nooks and brightly colored displays to send out the invitation that the room is a safe place to read and more importantly take risks. I am trying to keep in mind that, as teachers, we need to work to change our culture that says mistakes are bad. Kids need to feel safe and able to make mistakes to learn. When they can have meaningful discussions about their learning, that is what it is all about! My wise mom maintained throughout her life that many times, we learn more from our mistakes in life...how true!
Anyway, with the room getting ready and my high hopes for the year, this is my invitation to come along on my learning journey. And, if I make some mistakes along the way...the more learning for me too!

No comments: