Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Writing Challenge of 2009

Ok...after a few ah ha moments in my last staff professional development and some conversations around how challenging teaching writing can be, our lagging writing scores and how to improve...a few people brought to my attention the need for teachers to BE writers if we are TEACHING writing.  I had made that connection long ago, I would try to write with the kids...and when I am teaching writing, I do write with the kids (side by side, in front, before...).  But that day...it became more clear to me that we need to really focus on the craft of writing...by writing.  More than just studying it...we need to become authentic writers.  We need to write as adult writers and grapple with the things that our student writers grapple with each day.

Now...I want to ramp it up...I want to try and write MORE.  Not just genres we are doing in class...but writing in my adult personal life.  I think I have a lot to say (my husband would agree...maybe even have too much to say at times)...and I want to start by trying to set some time aside each day to write.   I have always dreamed of writing children's books...and having 2 young boys lends itself to lots of story opportunities!  It's time for me to stop dreaming...and pick up my pen (or laptop). 

So my challenge is on...this blog is one way I'm going to try to write more (and I am finding that now that I am back blogging, it has theraputic qualities as well).  Next step...a writing club for my like minded friends who value the importance of pushing ourselves to get better and better.  Stay tuned!

No comments: